Saturday, January 16, 2010

Zorio Family Update

I realized I haven't updated our blog since Christmas, but mostly that is because we have not had anything exciting going on here in Alabama. So to update everyone on what little has gone on in the past couple of weeks...
John's parents, Dawson's Nana and Grandad, got to visit around New Year's, and we were very excited for them to come down to our house. Unfortunately, I did not manage to get any pictures while they were here, so I will have to do better next time! While they were here we visited at our house, and then braved the rain and cold to go to the Red Robin at Bridge Street for dinner.
For the past few months, Dawson has been getting a little frustrated in his car seat because it requires him to recline so much, and he's a big boy and wants to sit more upright. He doesn't cry in the seat, but he tries to sit up the whole time he's riding in it. He was still riding in his infant carrier which he could stay in until he's 32 pounds (although he's too heavy to use it as the carrier now, and we just leave it in the car as a car seat). I thought when we got the infant carrier/car seat we would have him ride in it until he reached 32 pounds to get all the use we could out of it, however, our little guy is ready so sit up in the car, so we're not going to hold him back! For Christmas Lolly and Pop gave Dawson the car seat that is the next stage up, which we were so excited to get! He still has to ride in this seat rear facing until he turns one, but he sits more upright in it. When he turns one we can turn it to the front and it will sit upright even more. After Christmas we made an appointment to have it installed so we could see the correct way to do it the first time, and of course, I took the camera along so we could get pictures of Dawson's first time riding in his big boy seat. It was so funny because he was so happy in his new seat (as you can see in the pictures below). He's much more content in the new seat so everyone is much happier in the car!
Thursday night we went with two other couples to a Huntsville Havoc Hockey game, an event John and I had been wanting to attend since we moved to Huntsville. We had great seats near the ice and we had a really good time. This was Dawson's first hockey game, and we were worried he would not make it til the end but he was content and entertained the whole 3 hours! Of course it helped that he was getting attention from people sitting around us!
Thursday was also Dawson's 8 month birthday! I don't have an update on his weight since we don't go back to the doctor for another check-up until he turns 9 months. We have continued introducing him to new foods. Thankfully, he isn't too picky and likes most everything we've given him. So far he has tried carrots, sweet potatoes (his favorite veggie), green beans, peas, zucchini, yellow squash, butternut squash, acorn squash, spaghetti squash, apples, pears (his favorite fruit), bananas, apricots, nectarines, peaches (another favorite), papaya, mango, prunes, avocado, and pumpkin (which he hates just like his mom!). I'm still having fun making all of his baby food at home. His appetite is continuing to increase, and I'm having to make a lot more food at one time to keep our freezer stocked. I have started increasing the texture of his food too which he doesn't really care for but is slowly getting used to.
Now that he's eight months old we can introduce him to blueberries, cantaloupe, kiwi, potatoes, watermelon, honeydew, chicken, tofu (which we will be omitting), veal, turkey, beef, pork, and some spices and herbs. I have turned the kitchen into a baby food factory this weekend in order to prepare these new foods for him to try and to get our freezer stocked up again. I'm interested to see how he does trying meat because I have a feeling he's not going to like the texture, but we'll keep our fingers crossed. I also found a recipe for homemade biter biscuits/crackers which he can start having now too, and I hope to get those made this week so he can try them.
He still doesn't have any teeth, but we keep thinking he is working on getting one because of all the drool and biting. Apparently, as a child I was a late teether so if he follows in my shoes then he may be eating his birthday cake with no teeth come May! I love seeing his gummy drooly smile so I'm in no hurry for him to get teeth.
He is attempting to crawl, but has not mastered the art yet. He can definitely get around by pulling himself on his belly or lunging for toys. His favorite thing to do right now is to hold on to mine or Da Da's fingers and walk around the house. He can support himself really well and loves to do this, of course, it's slightly back-breaking for John and me but we don't usually mind!
Dawson is still saying Mama and DaDa. He has also added "hiiiiii" for hi to his vocabulary. We have also started working on waving and clapping with him. He will clap more than wave but we're working on both. He still loves Bentley more than any toy (and more than John and I sometimes it seems hah!). When Bentley comes into the room he get so excited. She has decided that Dawson is ready to play and when he's trying to crawl she runs circles around him which he loves.
John is continuing to be a "weekend warrior" as we call it working weekends, and I'm still very much enjoying staying home to take care of Dawson. We looking forward to going to visit our friends in Asheville, North Carolina soon and to a skiing trip we're working to plan. Other than this we're just staying busy taking care of and playing with Dawson.


Above: Dawson in his room after church last week.
Above: Bentley decided to join Dawson in the picture.
Don't worry she's not actually touching his face, although
she's close. You can see how much he likes her.


Above: Dawson telling a story with Bentley.


Above: "Mom, can we be done with pictures, please?!"

Above: Dawson and Bentley look outside wishing for
warmer weather.




Above: Dawson loving his new car seat.

Above: The new seat.

Above: One more of how happy Dawson
was in his new seat.

Above: Dawson and Mommy at the Havoc Hockey Game.

Above: Dawson and Da Da at the hockey game!

Above: Dawson made friends with the people behind us at the
hockey game and wouldn't quit turning around to smile at them,
of course, they were playing peek-a-boo with him.

No comments: