Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Greetings from Snowy Alabama!

Greetings from snowy Alabama!! That's right, we have had quiet the snow storm here this week! On Friday they started calling for snow that would begin on Sunday night. As usual, I was skeptic and figured that we would end up with rain instead. After all the hype though, I did decide that maybe we should invest in a pair of snow boots for Dawson. Friday night Dawson and I went shopping in search of the perfect boot, however we didn't find any. Saturday morning we all three went shopping and found some adorable rain boots at Old Navy that fit perfectly. They are the traditional yellow boots with blue soles and trim and oh-so cute! I love them. You better believe that every time it rains a drop he will be wearing them (and I, of course, will have on my bright pink rain boots I always wear too).
So sure enough, on Sunday night a little after eight it started snowing hard! By Monday morning when we woke up there was between nine and ten inches in our yard! We could not believe it! Alabama has pretty much shut down (and is still shut down-and it's Tuesday afternoon) from all of the snow. I guess that Alabama just counts on not getting snow because we do not salt the roads and I don't we own a salt truck or snow plow across Madison County. Keeping in mind that we do live in the county...yesterday afternoon someone drove through our neighborhood on their Massey-Ferguson farm tractor that still had a field plow on it and scraped some of the snow loose, just for fun I guess?! Dawson loved seeing the tractor. It was only topped by our neighbor getting out his 4-wheeler to ride around the neighborhood. Every time he went out of view from the playroom window Dawson would shout "come back! come back! come back!!!"
Of course since Dawson had boots we were going outside to enjoy this snow! So Monday morning immediately after breakfast we bundled up and headed outside. Now when I say we bundled up, imagine the kid from A Christmas Story whose mother bundles him up for the cold--I think Dawson could move around less in all of his layers than that kid! He wasn't too happy when we were in the snow because he didn't like wearing his hat or mittens. We played for a little while and he learned the word "snow." After coming inside and Dawson napping we bundled back up for round two! This time went much better. Dawson was happy to wear his hat and mittens and we played outside for a long time and walked around our neighborhood a little. Bentley got to play with our neighbor's dogs and had a ball! Bentley may have enjoyed the snow more than anyone else! John and I decided we should shovel the driveway since he knew he would have to go to work today (Tuesday) and wouldn't be able to get out if we didn't shovel. John shoved 80% of the driveway. I took care of the last 20%, and I think I've complained more about being sore from shoveling today than him! We had a great time playing outside in the snow though!
It ended up being a good thing we shoveled our driveway because last night we had an impromptu party at our house to watch the National Championship game. Our friends the Burns from our small group live in our neighborhood and so they came and brought their two year old, Connor. Our friends the Houghs who also live very close came over. Dawson had fun playing with his friend and we had fun seeing our friends too.
Today everything here is still shut down-except where John works they have not closed so John's at work and Dawson and I are going to enjoy the snow from inside this afternoon. The snow is so beautiful. As much as I hate the cold weather, if it would snow it wouldn't be hardly as miserable! Although Dawson has LOVED playing in the snow, I have to say that I think he much prefers the beach just like Mommy and Daddy! :)
If you're wondering what else we've been up to lately since I haven't posted since Christmas...
We did absolutely nothing for New Year's. It was on a Friday so John had to work that night, I was sick with a horrible sinus infection, and Dawson went to bed at 8:00pm. It was quiet possibly the most uneventful New Year's Eve ever, but I was not feeling well so I didn't mind at all!
Then on Sunday, January 2 we heard Dawson gasping for air after he had been in bed about 45 minutes for the night. We were very scared since he had not been sick at all. After realizing that he wasn't choking or having an allergic reaction which were my first two thoughts we decided to take him to the ER. When we got in the car Dawson started laughing, so we re-evaluated our decision and came back inside. At midnight when this had been going on for about 3 hours where he would be fine and then suddenly start gasping for air, we decided he needed to go on to Huntsville Hospital's Pediatric ER. We were very impressed with the pediatric er, we were only in the waiting room for less than 10 minutes and all of the nurses and doctors were very nice and seemed knowledgeable. They did his oxygen absorption level and said it was at 100%, so even though he sounded like he wasn't getting air, he was! I was so relieved after hearing this. They diagnosed him with the virus croup! While we were at the hospital he spiked a fever. After about two and a half to three hours we were discharged and told to watch him, give him the prescription of steroids, and Tylenol or ibuprofen. We spent the majority of the rest of the night listening to Dawson breathe while he slept because we were so nervous.
Thankfully after a few days Dawson started doing much better! This was definitely the sickest Dawson has ever been. For a child who doesn't get sick often, when he does he really outdoes himself! We are so, so thankful for him to be doing better, and I have also, thankfully recovered from my horrible sinus infection. The rest of 2011 will hopefully be healthier than the first week of the new year. :)
Dawson and I have also been working on learning new words, new signs, and several arts and crafts projects which I plan to post more on sometime soon!
For now, enjoy the photos below!

Above: Our kind neighbor, Kari, came out in the snow to
take a family picture for us!
Above: Dawson bundled up on our freshly
shoveled driveway. (Check out those boots!)

Above: Bentley loved the snow. It was so deep
though, this is about all you could see of her!

Above: Dawson starting to shovel the driveway!

Above: Dawson and Mommy in the snow!

Above: Dawson and Daddy in the snow.
(This was during the battle of the hat and mittens-
obviously, since he has on no mittens!)
Above: This is what the backyard looked like after it had
been snowing about an hour and a half on Sunday night!

Above: On of our recent projects-planting seeds in
three pots. Dawson wasn't too sure about the dirt
since he doesn't like to get dirty, but after I encouraged
him to make a little mess he thought it was fun!
Above: "Really, mom?? You want me to play in dirt?
Inside??"

Above: "Gross! Dirt"
Above: Dawson's hospital bracelet from the ER. While we
were at the hospital, I actually said to John that I wish we had the
camera for a picture of Dawson's first (and hopefully only)
ER visit. I, of course, only said this after we realized he was okay.
We unfortunately didn't have the camera, so this picture of his
bracelet that he managed to pull off while we were there is about
as good as it gets!

2 comments:

Cassandra said...

So glad the little guy is okay! And love the snow pictures- and the boots are adorable!

The Zorio Family said...

Thanks!! :)