Thursday, November 3, 2011

Our Pea in the Pod: Weeks 16 and 17

We no longer have to wonder what our little pea in the pod is doing in there because we can feel him/her moving ALL the time it seems!  :)  At about 15 and a half weeks, I felt our little pea move while I was in the playroom with Dawson.  I tried to get John and Dawson to feel the baby, but they couldn't.  However, the following day, John was able to feel the baby move and has several times since then.  It's so funny, once I started feeling our little pea move, it's as if he/she hasn't stopped!  He/she definitely has a preference for being on my right side  which I mentioned to the doctor because I didn't remember it with Dawson, and he said it was very normal for babies to have a preferred side in-utero. 
Now that we talk about the baby moving a lot, Dawson will randomly ask me what the baby is doing in my tummy.  If the baby is moving, I'll tell him the baby is playing, and if not, I tell him the baby is napping.  He has become even more interested in the baby than before!  He's such a sweetie about it too!
Now that I am in the 2nd trimester, I am feeling so much better!  I am rarely nauseous, and I've gotten some energy back.  This is the fun time of expecting (and I remember it from being pregnant with Dawson too), because you're showing enough that you look pregnant, you feel good, and you get to find out the gender and start being able to do real planning for the baby's arrival after knowing if it is a boy or girl. 
Yesterday was the beginning of my 17th week of pregnancy, and we had a check-up at the doctor's office today.  The heart rate was in the 150s which is where it always is for this baby (and was for Dawson too until near my due date).  The doctor said everything seemed great.  The baby is measuring about two weeks ahead which is right in the normal range especially for births after the first child.  
In just 11 days we will get to go for our ultrasound, and we cannot wait to find out the gender of our pea!  This also means that in the next 11 days, we have to make our final name selections so we will know the baby's name as soon as we find out the gender!  Choosing a name is so hard but fun!  We asked Dawson what we should name the baby, and he responded without missing a beat, "Mike the Turtle!"  I'm not sure where this came from because Mike the Turtle is not a character in any book we read or anything we've been around, so this must have come straight out of his little imagination.  Now every time we ask him what we should name the baby, he always gives us this same response.  We won't be going with Dawson's suggestion, but when we update with our next Pea in the Pod  blog we will announce the gender and the name! 
Until next time, here are the pictures of our growing pea!

Watch our baby grow...

16 Weeks Pregnant
(You'll notice I've switched to a
different shirt for the weekly pictures,
due to the fact that the pea outgrew
the white, non-maternity shirt we
had been using for all the pictures.)

Now Dawson thinks the weekly
pictures have to feature him,
so here is Dawson and our Pea
with Mommy at 16 weeks.

17 Weeks Pregnant

No comments: