John, Dawson, and I are excited to announce the birth of our newest family member! Carter Wade Zorio was born on Friday, April 13th, 2012, at 7:08 am. He weighs 7 pounds 13 ounces and is 21 inches long.
He was born in Knoxville, Tennessee at Tennova Physicians Regional in the St. Mary's Birthing Center in room 27. (This is the same hospital where I was born!) Dr. Brabson delivered him.
Carter was due on April 10th, and I was a little disappointed that the day came and went without any real sign that Carter would soon be making his debut. On Wednesday, April 11th we went out to dinner to celebrate my sister-in-law, Emily's, birthday, and we ran a few errands that evening. John was off work this night, and we relaxed the rest of the evening at home. I hadn't been in bed long when I felt a contraction stronger than all the previous "practice contractions" I had been having. I looked at the clock and it was 11pm on the dot. After having three more that were all 9 minutes apart, I told John I was having contractions. I encouraged John to sleep since he had worked the night before, but I got out of bed to be able to move around. The contractions continued through the night moving decreasing from 9 to 6 minutes apart. After they had held at 6 minutes apart for a while, they suddenly skipped to between 4 and 4 and a half minutes apart. I let them continue like this for an hour before waking John.
At 5am I woke John and told him I had continued to labor all night and how close the contractions were. He was surprised I hadn't woken him sooner, but I am glad he was able to sleep after seeing how long labor lasted with Carter. John jumped out of bed and was ready to go to the hospital immediately. He laughed at me that while I had been in labor during the night I had made a list of things I needed him to do while I showered and got ready for the hospital.
After my dad got to our house to stay with Dawson who was still sleeping, we left for the hospital. After checking in at 7am I was so disappointed to learn that after 8 straight hours of contractions, I was only at 1cm. My doctor gave me the option to stay at the hospital since my contractions were clearly showing as strong on the monitor, or he said I could go home where I could try to rest and be more comfortable. I told him I would love to go back home!
I spent the rest of the day continuing to have more contractions between 4 and 7 minutes apart. The doctor had asked that I call him in the afternoon to give an update. When I called, he asked that I come to his office. At 3pm I went to his office after having had contractions for 16 hours, and I was again disappointed to learn I was only at 2cm.
From monitoring me, the doctor thought things were picking up and wanted me to go to labor and delivery. The strength and frequency of my contractions quickly picked up.
At 11pm, after being in labor for 24 hours, I was exhausted and only 6cm. I decided I had to have the epidural, and then I was able to relax a little. My fear had been that it would drastically slow things down, but it didn't seem to make it any slower than it already was.
Finally at 7:08 am on Friday, April 13th, after 32 hours of labor we welcomed Carter Wade Zorio into the world!!!
John got to cut the cord, and my doctor grabbed the camera and took some of the first pictures of Carter for us! John and I were both able to be a part of his first bath which was given in our room when he was a little over an hour old. I was able to be up and moving around almost immediately after his birth which was awesome!
When Carter was about 3 or 4 hours old he got to meet his excited big brother for the first time! Dawson has loved and been so sweet with Carter! I loved to watch them together.
On his first day he also got to meet his Pop, Lolly, Aunt Em, Cousin Drew, Grandad, Nanie, and our friend, Lance! On his second day he got to meet our friends, Fred, Andrea, and Charlie!
On Sunday, April 15th, 2012, we came home from the hospital and have been recovering and adjusting to life with a newborn and two year old! It has been so much fun!
Carter with John and I immediately after he
was born! I love his expression!
The first time I held Carter immediately after
he was born!
Carter, Dr. Brabson, and me when Carter
was about 10 minutes old!
When they weighed Carter I couldn't believe
that he weighed the exact same as Dawson
at birth. Carter was longer though! (Carter
was 21 inches and Dawson was 19.5.)
Carter's first bath in the hospital.
Our first picture as a family of four!
I had to share one more picture so you could
see Dawson's face. He really is excited
to be a big brother!
Carter's first day!
Proud big brother!
Carter with his Lolly for the first time.
Carter with Pop for the first time.
Carter with his Aunt Emmie for the first time.
Grandad and Nanie with Carter for the first time.
Fred, Andrea, and Charlie with Carter
for the first time.
The second day Dawson came to visit
us in the hospital he left us this beautiful
message on the board in our room!
Sunday was the day we got to go home!
Before we left we took some pictures beside
our door decoration my mom made.
It is now hanging in Carter's nautical themed
nursery. It's hard to see in the picture but the ship
is called the SS Special Delivery 4:13:12. The
life preserver has his length. One cloud has his full
name, and the other cloud has his weight.
Carter and Daddy ready to go home!
On our way to the car to go home!
No comments:
Post a Comment