Thursday, September 20, 2012

Water, Water, Everywhere!

Oh, my...where to begin...
Actually I debated even blogging about this since it's not a fun topic, but I figured it's our life right now.  I write the blog to eventually make it into a book for the boys to have to see what their lives were like growing up...so I thought I would include this.
On Monday, September 10, we returned home from our wonderful beach vacation.  When entering the house we immediately knew something was wrong as all the windows were covered in moisture.  Then we realized that the whole house (minus the playroom) was flooded.  While we were out of town the plastic supply line to our ice maker ruptured and leaked water everywhere.  It was as if someone laid down a water hose and turned it on the entire time we were vacationing.  To give you an idea how much water there was-it came up over the sides of my feet and flip flops when I walked in it.
John found the leak and cut off the water supply, but we knew it was bad.  The linoleum in the kitchen was already lifting up, and the beautiful 40plus year old hardwood floors I loved were already buckling from all the water.  The carpet in the living room was soaked too.  We could hear water flowing into all of our vents and duct work. 
Within two hours we had a company out with over 25 heaters and dehumidifiers to dry everything out.  They put off a dry heat and kept our house between 90 and 100 degrees for over a week now trying to remove all the moisture. 
As of now-a week and a half later-all the hardwoods, carpet, and part of the linoleum have been removed.  Also, all of our belongings have been packed and stored so construction can take place inside the house.  We have been told it will be three to five weeks until we are back in the house.  We are hoping that this is accurate.  Right now we are living in the upstairs bedrooms at John's parent's house.  Needless to say, it has been overwhelming, especially seeing all of our things packed up AGAIN, since it hasn't been that long since we moved in the house.  We are reminding ourselves that we will have a new house from the baseboards down when we move back in! 
Dawson has had about a million questions about the water, why it did that, what broke, what got wet, and so on.  He's so curious, so we answer his questions but try not to talk about it too much in front of him so he will not worry.  He is enjoying getting to see his grandparents frequently though since we're at their house, so I don't think he minds too much!

No comments: