In the interview, you probably read that Dawson want to be a farmer when he grows up. He talks about being a farmer ALL.THE.TIME! He's very clear about it to. For instance, he has told me that I can come to his farm to collect the chicken eggs and do laundry and sometimes cook. Carter will be allowed to come to Dawson's farm when he's 11, and he can help drive a tractor. Nora Kate can come too, if I can put her carseat in Dawson's truck. We were behind a big F150 the other day at a stoplight, and Dawson pointed out that he was going to have a white one of those when he's a farmer. He talks about what all kinds of animals he will have and plants he will grow. I love how talking about this gets him so excited! And I love what a little planner he is! :)
Dawson has always loved to read, and that has stayed the same this year too! He loves all of his books, but he especially gets excited about us reading chapter books to him which we started about a year and a half ago. His favorite chapter book is Mr. Popper's Penguins. We just read our first Junie B. Jones book last week (Junie B. Jones Has a Peep in her Pocket), and now he cannot wait to read a giant stack of Junie B. Jones books we got for the summer! He also loves to sit and read to Carter-of course, Dawson's more recounting what he remembers the story to be about than actually reading but it's so sweet! And Carter has no clue so Carter will sit with him and listen as Dawson reads!
The biggest change for Dawson over this past year was starting preschool! He started August 12th, and for the entire year I never once heard him say a negative word about school! He only missed one day for being sick, and he cried on that day that we wouldn't let him go to school. (I happened to have a VBS meeting that day at church, so I went by his classroom and got his worksheets for the day to bring home...he was thrilled! You would have thought I brought home candy or a new toy! haha) He has several sweet friends in his class, and he had two wonderful teachers (Ms. Libby and Ms. Nancy). As I told his teachers numerous times, this year was the most perfect transition into school for Dawson I could ever have imagined! Although I am in no way ready for this, next year Dawson will go to school THREE mornings a week and the following year he will begin kindergarten. I missed Dawson so much on his school days this year, I just cannot imagine him being away 3 mornings beginning in August-but he really did love school this year, and I guess they have to go sometime! :)
This past year was the first time Dawson has gotten to enjoy organized team sports, and he has really enjoyed both sports! In the fall he played AYSO munchkin soccer, and he had a great time! This spring he is playing Outward WeeBall and John is helping to coach his team. He loves this too! It's amazing the improvement he has shown over both sports throughout both season. He enjoys going, and I LOVE watching him play! He's a lucky boy to have both sets of grandparents get to all his games too! It's turned into a family event going to Dawson's games, and he loves having so many people watch him!
Another big change for Dawson over this past year was becoming a big brother to Nora Kate. He is a wonderful big brother to her as he is to Carter, and really I think having another sibling in the house wasn't as big of a change for Dawson as I thought it would be. He adjusted quickly (having already do it once when we had Carter), and he really does love her! Speaking of siblings, Dawson and Carter started sharing a room about 11 months ago. It has gone so, so well (until this last month when Carter started climbing out of his crib), and I love to see how sweet those two brothers are to each other!
Dawson wakes up every morning at 7:30 and he goes to be around 8 each night. He still takes a nap every afternoon around 1/1:30 and this nap is usually about 1.5 hours.
A few more little things I want to remember about our sweet Dawson at age 5:
-Dawson sleeps with his panda that he's always slept with and he has recently added a giraffe that he calls "tip top."
-Dawson has gotten REALLY into building Legos lately, and he loves to build them on his own and with his Daddy!
-Other things Dawson loves playing: kitchen, restaurant, farm, workshop, building tents/forts, riding the Gator!, doing anything outside, riding his bike, playdough, and art!
-Dawson LOVES to help me cook, and he's become a great helper in the kitchen!
-In Dawson's 4 year update I wrote, "If he had his way, we would spend every waking moment outdoors" and this is still so, so true!
I wish I had Dawson's official stats for his 5 year checkup, but his checkup isn't for another couple of weeks! I will come back and update this once we see the doctor.
There are so many things I want to remember about Dawson from this stage! Dawson is compassionate, talkative, kind, smart, occasionally mischievous, and loving! He loves to be silly and laugh. We have so much fun with Dawson every day, and I cannot believe he's FIVE...but we have loved these past five years so very much! Dawson has brought us more joy that I could have ever imagined possible, and I love this tender-hearted, funny, smart big boy you're becoming!
We had Dawson's birthday party the weekend before his birthday, so on his actual birthday we took advantage of some gorgeous weather and played in the water in the backyard ALL day!
That evening we gave Dawson his gifts from us!
He was SO excited with this worm farm!
He has loved watching the worms tunnel and eat leaves over this past week!
The ONE thing Dawson said he wanted for his birthday was a new stuffed animal. We picked out this white tiger, and he LOVED it!
He named it Tig.
The evening of Dawson's birthday, Lolly, Pop, and Uncle Logan came over to wish Dawson a happy birthday and brought a chocolate Reeces pie! YUM! We put his candle on it and sang to him again. Carter was really excited about it too!
Ready to blow out the candle!
Dawson was so sweet to let Carter help!
Big Brother Dawson with Nora Kate and Carter (he refers to them as "the littles" haha).
They're so sweet with each other (most of the time). While I was taking these pictures, Carter just snuggled Nora Kate and Dawson held her hand-all unprompted!
5 Years Old!
I'm FIVE!
Dawson's main gift from us was this playhouse!
John did a great job building it (it was "A LOT of assembly required!"), and Dawson -and Carter-absolutely LOVE this house! Dawson's started calling it his clubhouse! :) John was pretty proud of his handy work, so he had to get in for a picture!

No comments:
Post a Comment