Our sweet Carter is ONE today!!! I really cannot believe how quickly the past year has flown by. It really seems like we just held him in our arms for the first time! At one Carter's personality is starting to show more than ever before! He loves to laugh, be silly, and make faces, and his very favorite person to do all these things with is big brother, Dawson! Carter is always looking for his "Bu bu" (brother), and sometimes just shortens it to "bu!" He tries to do everything Dawson does, and we're usually surprised by all the "big kid" things Carter really can do!
Carter can be so wild and loves to "play rowdy," but he's a really big snuggler too! He loves to snuggle up when you hold him, and he gives great hugs and open mouth kisses to the side of your face! SO sweet! I love when he hugs me, pats, and he says, "awwww." Too cute!
Carter's favorite phrase this month has been "uh oh!" He says it A LOT-any time he drops something, falls down, can't reach something, OR is ABOUT to drop something he says, "uh oh!" It's cute to hear in his sweet voice. He has started asking to go outside this month too. The first time he pointed out the window, signed more, and said, "More OUT!" when we had just come back inside from playing. Most of the time he just asks, "out? go go? out? go go?"
He also says, "Mama," "Dada," "Bubu," "Goggie" (this is for Doggie, he says it when he sees one or hears one), "Go go," "Bye bye," "Hello," "Hi," "No no," "Boat," "Light," "Bird," "More," "All done," "Book," and "Yay!" I'm sure there are a few words I'm leaving off this list, but these are at least his most commonly said words and phrases.
At 11 months we were instructed to test Carter's milk allergy by giving him dairy. We started by giving him yogurt and then whole milk, and GUESS WHAT?! No allergy!! We are SO thankful that he outgrew it!
This has opened up a lot of new possibilities of things for him to eat. However, Carter has become somewhat picky over the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure if it's because he's been trying so many new things as we're trying to move away from the baby food I've been making and move toward regular food or if it's just because he has learned he doesn't have to eat everything. Right now his very favorite foods are oranges, peas, bananas, bagels, and chicken casseroles or chicken pot pie. This month he started telling me "No no" when it was time to nurse and he would want his cup of water. I asked the doctor about it and he gave us the go ahead to start him on whole milk and said to be thankful he weaned himself rather than having to do it myself. Carter loves drinking milk and water from a sippy, and hasn't looked back!
Since right before he turned 11 months, Carter has been sleeping through the night. It's amazing to get a full night's rest! I don't take it for granted at all. He seems much happier on a full nights rest too! Carter has unfortunately cut out his morning nap, and he only naps ONE time a day! I can't believe he cut this nap already, but at least his afternoon nap overlaps with Dawson's nap!
Carter still loves bath time, and he doesn't mind a bit when he gets water all over his face and in his eyes. I can't wait to get him in the pool when it warms up. I think he will love it. We always bathe Carter with Dawson and sometimes we all FOUR end up soaked from all the splashing these two do in the tub! It's always loud and they're always laughing though. Bath time is a favorite for Carter.
Carter seems to have a pretty independent personality. He prefers to walk on his own, not holding on to our hands-even out in the yard where the ground is uneven. He doesn't mind at all when he falls. He is also content to explore and check things out as long as he can see me and is being entertained by himself, Dawson, or of course me. When we leave him whether it's with the grandparents, in the kid's area at the gym, or in church nursery, he sometimes cries but he gets over it in less than a minute and usually after I'm out of sight. When the boys stay in the kid's area at the Rush while I work out, Dawson is always sure to give me a full report of exactly what Carter did while I was away. Carter loves having his brother around, and he has gotten really attached to him. Recently if Dawson goes somewhere, like somewhere with a grandparent or with John while Carter stays with me, Carter has been crying for his "Bu bu." He will just ask for him over and over. It's pitiful, but sweet! I know he loves Dawson so much. I can only imagine the fun these two are going to have together as Carter continues to learn to do more.


No comments:
Post a Comment