Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Making Our Home: DINING ROOM (update 1)

Yesterday I shared pictures of our updates to Nora Kate's room which wasn't horribly dated compared to other rooms-so today I wanted to share a room that was REALLY dated-the dining room!  I'm titling this "update 1" because hopefully down the road there will be an "update 2" when we change the brass chandelier, and further down the road an "update 3" when we do-away with the carpet in the dining room.  But for now, the brass chandelier and carpet are still in the room.  I'm very pleased with how it looks after "update 1"!!
So here are the before pictures...


View from foyer

view from kitchen




Panoramic photo to get the full impact of this blue wallpaper!

No window coverings

This room was our first experience using Benjamin Moore's Fresh Start.  As I've mentioned before it's a primer that goes over wallpaper that cannot be removed. Here we didn't realize we would have to remove the border and sand all the seams, so we just started rolling the fresh start on...and we let Dawson help...
It's funny to look at this picture because this was the last area we taped to paint.  After this we started saving time by not taping and just being careful, and it actually ended up being much easier!




We quickly realized though that all the seams were visible, so we stopped what we were doing.  We used a steamer to steam the border off the wall all the way around.  It wasn't too bad because it was glued on top of the wallpaper.  The next step was sanding all the wallpaper seams with an electric sander.  Finally we got back to painting the primer (Fresh Start) on the walls.  While the walls were drying with Fresh Start we painted the window trim, baseboards, and crown molding with Benjamin Moore's color Dove White in Behr paint.  This was time consuming because there was a lot to paint Dove White in this room.  
Next we started painting the actual color on the wall.  John and I both were beyond pleased with the color we picked!  We used Revere Pewter (a Benjamin Moore color in Behr paint).

Here are a few work in progress shots...
(as you can tell it's dark when we were painting because it was after the kids went to bed!)



Excited to check it the next day (above) in the sunlight after it had dried!



These pictures were fun for us when we were tackling a lot with the house at one time.  So this was one of the first rooms we painted...the top picture here is the Friday that we closed and the bottom picture was just two days after closing on the house!  What a difference, huh?!

So now, for the pictures of the finished room as it is now...








I also should add that in addition  to the above described work on this room, we also had blinds installed and shampooed the carpet since purchasing the house.
This was one of the first rooms that came together, and is still one of my favorites.  John and I both really like this color (Revere Pewter) and how nice the crown molding looks in the dining room now that it has been painted.  One other little trick we did in the dining rooms and in all the other rooms too, is after all the paint dries we caulk along the tops of the baseboards (and the underside of the crown molding).  This gives the paint job a *perfect* look!  It really makes it look finished. Such a small little touch!  It's also probably one of Dawson's favorite ways to help us.  He's great at helping John caulk the baseboards!
I'm very pleased with how our dining room was brought from 1987 to 2015!!  Goodbye blue wallpaper!!!

Remember our laundry room....with the ugly yellow linoleum?  I think I'll share those photos next!

No comments: