At Fall break in mid-October Dawson was officially a fourth of the way through his first year of preschool. He was at the midterm. :)
I thought it would be an appropriate time to briefly talk about his first school experience. He LOVES, LOVES, LOVES school! I was worried for months that he wouldn't like being away from me two days every week, or that he would have mornings he didn't want to go, or that he would get teary eyed and want to go back home with me. I also worried that the beginning of his school year being the time of Nora Kate's birth that it would be stressful for him with too much change. Haha-I shouldn't have worried at all!
Dawson seems like such a big kid! He has never cried, never gotten teary eyed, never asked to stay home. In fact, he's always thrilled to go to school, walks quickly down the hallway to his classroom because he's excited to get there, and he really seems to enjoy it. He has two great teachers-Ms. Libby and Ms. Nancy, and he really likes them both.
I can tell he's learning a lot, and I'm really impressed with that. I know he loves the social part of school. He always comes home with a story. His favorite friends to play with at school are Bailey and Cheyenne. These two girls are into Hello Kitty, and now Dawson points out Hello Kitty everywhere we go. He thinks these two little girls are pretty awesome. One day I was helping Dawson when my hair tickled his face. He said, "Mommy, you need to get Hello Kitty hair clips like Bailey so your hair stays out of your eyes." (Thanks, Dawson!) He really enjoys having his school friends that he's made on his own.
We have gotten nothing but good reports from his teacher which makes me very happy! At some point around the halfway mark, I believe we have parent-teacher conferences.
In the mornings, we take Dawson to his classroom to drop him off. I load Carter and Nora Kate on the double stroller to walk Dawson in. About a third of the time, Carter cries for Dawson on the way back out-sweet little brother! In the afternoons, there is a car line to pick up the kids. Carter and Dawson are both always excited to see each other. Then Dawson tells us all about his day!
It's always funny to see what stood out to him about his day. He usually always reports what centers he did during center time, what he did on the playground, if they got to use scissors (he loves cutting!), if they got to paint (another favorite), and usually there is some report of what someone was wearing (so-and-so "had on a shirt with a ghost on it, and that ghost had on a hairbow!" or so-and-so "hand on fingernail polish like you, Mommy!" or "so-and-so had on a shirt with a tractor!") Oh, and how could I forget the most important part...he NEVER forgets to show me what he picked out of the treasure box! (They get a treasure if they don't have to pull a card for disobeying-I'm proud to say Dawson has had a treasure every day!) He's really bought into this treasure box idea, and one time he was headed to Lolly and Pop's house and he told me that if Lolly was "a good girl, she could get a treasure out of a box somewhere." Haha!
Dawson's first school picture!
The day before Halloween the kids had a pancake breakfast and costume parade. They were to come dressed as a storybook character. Dawson picked a book about firemen to go along with his Halloween costume. Here he is parading with his class.
Dawson and Daddy at the pancake breakfast!
Dawson with me at his pancake breakfast Wednesday morning.
It was fun to watch Dawson walk with his class and act like such a big kid at the pancake breakfast. John and I both agree that it would be wonderful to be a fly on the wall for just one day in Dawson's class. I'm sure it would be entertaining, and I'd love to see how he acts when we're not around!
All in all, we have all adjusted to him going to preschool two days a week. I still am not used to having him gone two mornings a week, but he really does enjoy it! More than anything, we are so happy that our sweet Dawson is loving preschool.
So I wrote this a couple of weeks ago, and I'm just now getting around to putting it on the blog...so I wanted to add that just this past Wednesday at school was the FIRST time Dawson has told us that he has played with a friend that was a boy. He was excited to report when he got in the car that, "I played with someone new today! He's a boy! His name is Brooks!" There aren't many girls in our playgroup so I think maybe that has been why he's been so interested in playing with the girls, and I really don't care who he plays with at all! I just thought it was funny that he made SUCH a big deal that he played with a boy this time.
No comments:
Post a Comment