Monday, April 25, 2016

Clayton: 1 Month Old

As of April 21st Clayton is one month old.  Just thinking about that makes me sad in that it has flown by so quickly!!  Knowing how quickly time passes with kids, but especially newborns, we have tried to savor and enjoy every single moment!
Clayton continues to be an awesome baby!  He is a great eater, sleeper, and has long (for a newborn) periods of awake time during the day where he's really happy.  He nurses about 10 times in a 24 hour period.  During the day he eats every 2 or 3 hours and will sometimes want to eat even closer together (like every hour and a half) in the evening.  These cluster feedings in the evenings are fine with me though because I think it's part of how he does so great at night (and it's also why I'm not really willing to do much in the evening that takes us away from home or off our schedule because I'm afraid I'll mess out our night sleeping haha!  After having had three kids who were not great sleepers as babies, I'm not risking messing up this good thing we have going!!)  But after his cluster feedings in the evening he will usually go one four hour stretch of time during the night!  This means I get 3 and a half hours of uninterrupted sleep since it takes him about 30 minutes to eat.  I'm SO, SO thankful for the uninterrupted 3.5 hours! 
Clayton sleeps in his bassinet in our room in his swaddling blanket, but we (from the 2 days old) have swaddled him with his arms out since he prefers to sleep with his arms beside his head.  I don't think I've mentioned this in any previous posts, but when we were having ultrasounds done, Clayton always had his ankles crossed (even when he was breech!).  Now that he's "out of my tummy" (as Nora Kate likes to say) he always keeps his ankles crossed-awake or asleep! It must be his comfy position!
Clayton has become a lot more aware of what is going on around him.  When he hears Carter, Nora Kate, and Dawson playing or talking he always tries to turn toward their voices.  Even when he's laying on the floor he will arch around and try to turn toward them! I love this!  His siblings continue to love him so much, and John and I continue to be surprised that we have not seen a single bit of jealousy from any of the kids.  They all love to hold him, kiss him, pick out his clothes, help with his baths, basically try to take care of him!  Nora Kate has started referring to him very frequently as "our baby." 
Clayton has started paying more attention to the toys that hang down on his bouncy seat and his back time gym.  He really is happy in anything I put him in-swing, bouncy seat, tummy time, or back time gym.
Clayton is still happy at bathtime too!  The only times he will fuss a little (not really even cry) is when I get him out of the tub! 
Just when we thought Clayton couldn't make any more noises in his sleep, he has gotten even "grunt-ier."  He grunts a lot!  Carter made a lot of noises in his sleep too-more than Clayton actually-but it's still funny and sweet to hear all these noises especially when he's going to sleep. 
As I was reading what to expect from 4 week old babies just to remind myself, I read that this was a common time for baby acne to appear, then that very day Clayton's baby acne started showing up.  Some people have told me that none of their babies ever got this-but all of our kids have had it-the boys worse than Nora Kate (which from doing some reading, usually boys get it worse than girls).  Either way, we are in full force baby acne stage.  Clayton also has had a lot more of the peeling baby skin that newborns get (although this is almost over now), and after doing some reading on this the later past a due date a baby gets the more of this they usually have (which I just thought was interesting since he was our latest baby). 
In his fourth week, Clayton went to Gym Bugs for the first time and to Sandy Springs Park for the first time.  Also, he attended a birthday party of a friend from Sunday School who lives in our neighborhood.  At all three of these places he slept almost the entire time in the Ergo carrier I wear.  He's such a good baby that now that I'm feeling able to lift Carter and Nora Kate, we have been able to get out a lot more with him very easily.  He's happy in his carseat so drives are easy and he's happy in the Ergo which is usually where he stays when we are out and about.  I really don't think Clayton could be a better baby!  Since he's so good and so happy, I really do feel like we get to enjoy every minute!
Clayton's 1 month check up with Dr. Collins went great.  The doctor was impressed with Clayton's weight gain, and he said Clayton is looking great!
At birth Clayton weighed 8 pounds 4 ounces, and now, at one month old Clayton weighs 11 pounds 6 ounces (yes, he's gained over three pounds in one month!).  He also grew from 21 inches long to 22 inches long at one month.  His growth is GREAT! 
After all the details that only a mother could appreciate, on to the pictures...









Clayton's sweet hair!
His hair stands up like this on it's own.  Every time I bathe him it springs back up as soon as it dries! I love it.




This picture cracks me up...he's sitting up so straight!





Clayton is one blessed boy to have so many siblings who adore him!



My sweet and talented friend Cassandra made this blanket for Clayton.
(Carter and Nora Kate have similar blankets made by Cassandra.)
It's so soft and cute!

Clayton's Nana and Grandad gave him this adorable nautical quilt! I need to get an up close picture to show all the cool patterns on it, but I love how tiny Clayton looks laying on it in this picture!

No comments: