Thursday, June 8, 2017

Dawson is EIGHT

EIGHT is SO big!  We have a big kid now! Dawson is EIGHT!  Eight just sounds so big, I can't get over it!  Dawson's pretty excited to be one of the first of his friends to turn eight years old which makes it seem even older!
But it's true...it's been eight years since we drove from our home in Harvest to Huntsville Hospital in the early morning hours to welcome into our family after a very long day at 6:15 on that evening, May 14th!
In many ways I can still see that tiny (seven pounds 13 ounces) blonde baby boy with eyes we could tell were "September Sky Blue" from the moment he was born....I can still see this little baby in many ways when I look at Dawson, but I can also see all of the last eight years of joy, laughter, learning,  experiencing, and loving and how those have changed him and have grown him.  I have a special and different relationship with each of the four children, but one of the special elements of mine and John's parenting relationship with Dawson is that we have learned everything along with him.  We learned and are learning how to be parents as he was and is learning, as well.  Dawson's eighth birthday fell on Mother's Day, and there couldn't have been a better way to celebrate than by celebrating the birthday of this sweet boy who made me a Mommy eight years ago.  When I think back to the day Dawson was born, John and I anxiously awaited his birth having no idea all the joy, laughter, love, and happiness he would bring into our lives!  I never anticipated I would find so much joy in motherhood, but it is one of my favorite parts of who I am, my greatest sources of pride, and what brings me so much happiness.  So, Dawson, thank you for this...you were our first baby, and now our first big EIGHT year old.  (Whew, I think I've got a little something in my eye...)
Now, on to the things I want to remember about Dawson at this age...

Spring/Summer of 2016 Dawson played baseball, but opted to try something different this year.  He wanted to give Cub Scouts a try.  This is right up Dawson's alley, and he is absolutely loving it.  Fishing, tools, building, camping...perfect match!  In the winter Dawson played basketball through our church's organization Fairview Sports.  John and Grandad were the coaches of his team which he loved.  He really enjoys playing golf any time he is given the opportunity.  Dawson also really enjoys running and would love it if he got to go on runs with me every single day.

Dawson has done very well in school this year.  He always gets good reports from his teachers on how he is doing in terms of behavior and learning.  He has really worked on reading at school this year and at home with me in the afternoons this year, and WHOA! his reading has really taken off.  His math skills have drastically increased this year.  I'm always impressed by Dawson's kindness to his classmates and friends as well.  I love going to eat lunch with Dawson at school because he always picks different friends to sit with him.  Dawson has such a kind, tender heart that he wants all of his classmates to get "picked" at some point.   One time when we went to eat lunch with him midway through the year, I said "Oh, you picked so-and-so.  How nice! I don't hear you talk much about playing with that particular classmate.  Tell me about them." and he responded, "I picked so-and-so because no one has ever picked him to sit with them and their guest all year.  I didn't want him to be sad."  Melted my heart.  I love that he has such a caring heart and does not want to exclude anyone.  

Dawson still regularly talks about how he wants to be a farmer when he grows up.  He makes plans, like how he will drive a certain kind of truck, what crops and animals he will have, etc.  I love my little planner!

Dawson LOVES to stay busy.  He really prefers to be on the go all of the time (I feel like this has been the description of the 8 years of his life-he wants to be going and doing more than having playdays at home, like Carter and NK are more content to do.  We have to find a balance of this for everyone to be happy.)  He reminds me so much John in this way.  He is always up for golfing, fishing, Dollywood, the zoo, etc.

Dawson is an amazing big brother to everyone!  He is exceptionally good about teaching his siblings how to do things.  He LOVES the role of big brother and loves that he usually knows more and can do more and show the others how to do things.  He's so good and helpful, I have to remind myself sometimes not to rely on him too much to help me because I want him to enjoy himself too.
About 11 months ago, the boys got bunk beds in their room.  Dawson sleeps on the top bunk, and they love their bunks!  During the school year Dawson goes to bed at 730 and wakes up at 6:30.  When school is out he stays up until 8 or 8:30 and gets up at 7:30...well he and Carter actually wake up some days more like 7:15 and talk for a few minutes, get dressed, and make their beds-they're SO good!  On Sundays we have a rule that it's a day of rest so everybody naps...the kids even say "It's everybody naps day," but we have been giving Dawson the option to rest, color in his room, or read in his room for quiet time during "everybody naps" time because he's just not tired enough to sleep.  

Dawson has always been awesome about doing chores.  This past year we changed his chores again slightly to include the following as his regular daily chores: making his bed, cleaning his room, sweeping the kitchen floor after dinner, laying out everything he needs (clothes, bag, shoes, socks, etc) for the next day the night before, and cleaning the playroom before bedtime.  Dawson's so good about doing his chores and rarely complains.  We started having Dawson do chores when he was really little and I think this has helped him learn to make a perfect bed (I mean, his bed looks the same whether he or I makes it! and he sweeps the kitchen floor like a pro! which is a tough job with Mr. Messy Clayton).  I'm always so impressed by Dawson and how he seems to enjoy working and helping.  
A few other notes that I want to remember about Dawson at this age...
-he still absolutely loves driving his John Deere Gator around the yard.  I feel like he should be the poster child for this product to say it's worth purchasing your children will enjoy it for years to come-because he still loves this toy!  I would love to know how many miles it's traveled!
-Dawson loves art.  If he's painting, drawing, coloring, or -his favorite-taking things (boxes, paper towel rolls, etc) I'm trying to throw away and turning them into treasured art projects he can't part with.  
-Dawson loves getting together with his friends to play and asks to do this very frequently.
-Dawson loves his grandparents and talk about them and makes art for them on a regular basis.  He loves going fishing with Pop and golfing with Grandad.  He loves riding to school and sharing his school with his Lolly, and he loves going to Nana's house and playing/baking.
-Dawson enjoys planting seeds, taking care of plants, and growing things.
-He earned his Bobcat Badge in Scouts this year.

Dawson is looking so grown up now that he is EIGHT!  He has grown lots taller this year.  I don't know his exact stats as his yearly check up isn't until June, but I know he's grown and seems very healthy!  He has lost more teeth this year and grown more permanent teeth. These permanent teeth make him look even older I think when I look at his smiling face.  Oh, this boy is growing up way to fast...but we are trying to hang on a enjoy the fast-paced ride as we watch this sweet, kind, caring, thoughtful, considerate, smart, boy that we were blessed to be given grow into an even bigger boy each and every day!

Here's our big EIGHT YEAR OLD DAWSON!








No comments: