Tuesday, January 9, 2018

September 2017

I usually start these monthly updates out with something like, "It was another great/fun/busy/exciting month," but in an attempt to always record our family happenings accurately, I will begin honestly.....September was a rough month.  As I mentioned in the August update, Dad (Pop) went into the hospital at the end of August, but there were lots of ups and downs during the month of September with him.  I visited him at the hospital every day (or night-many visits happened after the kids' bedtimes at 7:30, that way I could take advantage of quality time with the kids and still see Dad since the hospital is less than 15 minutes from our house).  At the very end of this month (September) though, the doctors decided that Dad needed to be transferred to a hospital with more capabilities so he moved to one in Knoxville-this made visiting a little more difficult.  It's been a tough month of trying to feel fully present with the kids and mentally be thinking about Pop in the hospital, but the kids have had a good month nonetheless...and it was John's birthday month too so we had some celebrations in there too!!

The month began with a big Grandparents Day celebration at the boys' school.  Carter was beyond excited since it was his first!

here he is showing us his table and around his classroom

Nana and Grandad were both able to come to the Grand Event along with Nora Kate, Clayton, and me.

Carter is so outgoing...he requested I take his picture with one of his good buddies in his class.

Grand Event with Grandad.

Dawson is so wonderfully responsible.  I can't remember where we were going, but I had to run back upstairs as we were about to leave to change Clayton's diaper once more...when I came downstairs the kids were nowhere to be found.  Instead this sticky note was on the door with my shoes right under it.  We're outside.  Don't worry.  Get your shoes.

As I think I mentioned in the August blog, the boys ran their first 1 mile fun run race in August and they were itching to do another.  So we signed them up for a 1 mile run in Knoxville Labor Day Weekend.  It ended up being a dreary, rainy morning-but that didn't stop these boys!




During the race I looked at Carter and he was running along chatting with this boy?!  After the race I asked him if he knew him, and no-he didn't but he just talked to him for about half a mile! I love that Carter's so outgoing, but I couldn't believe he was running a race and chatting with someone he didn't even know-haha!
The boys did awesome though!  Dawson came in 6th place, and Carter came in 9th place!

We drove to Pigeon Forge one day and had a lot of fun racing go carts, playing putt putt, and driving bumper boats!









Soccer season is in full swing for Carter.  He's playing Parks & Rec Soccer this year, and it's amazing! He has an awesome coach, and a great team!  He is the white team and they're the White Sharks!  Carter LOVES soccer, and I'm amazed at how good he is!

Nana and Grandad came to cheer him on for his games!

Our garden continued to produce cucumbers this month.  I found this picture on my phone the Dawson had snapped of one of the cuckes.

Scouts started back up this month, and it is so perfect for Dawson-he loves it!

Nora Kate REALLY wanted to wear her hair in two braids to school one day, so I braided it when it was wet the night before.  When she woke up though it had pulled out of the braids and curled, so we had to start over on the school morning.  She was thrilled with her braids though!

We enjoyed lots of walks this month.  Clayton's favorite way to go on walks is in the wagon with snacks-hah!

This month we also got Uncle Logan's old Cozy Coupe out of the attic for Clayton to play with.  This belonged to my brother and has been played with by Dawson, Carter, Nora Kate, and now Clayton!  It's been a hit with them all!

We went to eat lunch with our big kindergartner this month!

Unfortunately Carter took a good spill this month.  He jumped off the steps at Nora Kate's ballet lessons and slipped and landed face first on the concrete sidewalk. Ouch!
Thankfully we have been amazed at how quickly this has been healing up!

The boys had school pictures this month.  I have NEVER really thought that these two looked much alike until we got these pictures back.  Maybe it's because they're turned the same way, maybe it's because they're both against blue backgrounds, maybe it's because they chose to wear similar shirts for their pictures, or MAYBE, just maybe, they do actually look a little alike!  Look at their chins, smiles, and ears!  I always think they look so different...until now!
I love how these turned out, and I love our sweet school boys!

This month I went to my first ever paint night!  Several other ladies from church did it, and it was lots of fun!  The picture above is mine.


With soccer games every Saturday and practices every Wednesday we spent a lot of time in soccer cleats on the soccer field!  Go Carter!

On one of our trips to Dollywood this month, Dawson decided he wanted to try the Wild Eagle!  I couldn't believe it, but he rode it with me and enjoyed it.  He said he didn't want to ride it again for a long time, but he had his eyes opened and wasn't terrified-he just said it wasn't his favorite.  BUT he was so proud that he did it...he's talked about it numerous times since then!

We all love the new kids coaster, but on this particular time, Nora Kate said she wanted to ride in the front of the coaster by herself. John and the big boys are in the back.

Spirit Week at school was this month.  CRAZY HAIR day...the boys wanted spiked hair and Carter wanted me to paint his orange.  I'm so glad the boys have each other at school.  It's been good for both of them, but Carter's enthusiasm has helped Dawson get excited about some things that he normally doesn't want to participate in-like crazy hair day.

We decided to go have lunch at school with Dawson on Crazy Hair day!

Super Hero day...here is Super Carter and Super Dawson!

For years I spent lining up tractors, trucks, and Hot wheels cars with the boys...Now playing with Nora Kate and what does she want to do!? Line things up..although she wanted to line up all these princesses, and she told me it was for a wedding.

Carter's first Raccoon Romp was at the end of September.  He did amazing running in this fun run-a-thon type fundraiser for his school.  He ran the whole time and ran almost 3 miles!


Carter's class with the mascot, Rocky!

Then it was time for Dawson to run! He ran the whole time too and ran 3 miles!


Nora Kate got a little too hot watching the boys run so she had to go out and walk through the mist that the principal was spraying on the runners-hah!


That night we did a fire in the backyard with s'mores.

Since July we have been seeing turkey in our neighborhood.  In fact, they walk right through our backyard every morning and evening.  When Dawson had to do an animal project this month guess what he picked...

TURKEY!

Nora Kate must have been feeling extra pretty this school morning because she requested that I take her picture before preschool.

Carter is such a number-minded kid-I've been making copies of Dawson's math homework and he's been doing it.  He is always so proud of it.

John turned 33 this month!  We celebrated as a family on his actual birthday, and then he went to Atlanta for his annual guys golf weekend with our friends from Alabama.



So after his golf weekend we celebrated with Nana and Grandad and a pizza party and ice cream cake (can you tell the kids help plan his little party?!).


Dawson hiked to Look Rock with Scouts this month.  I'll never get over what a wonderful and beautiful view you have at Look Rock!  Here he is on the hike with his friend, Carson.
Clayton loves muffins for breakfast!  Look at that sweet face!

September was somewhat of a whirlwind, and we are looking forward to next month because it means FALL BREAK!

No comments: