Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Carter at 4 AND A HALF

When you're only 4 years old, you can change a lot in a matter of just six months.  For this reason, I like to do brief updates on the kids half birthdays.  It helps me to remember exactly what they were like at each stage, and as I look back and read them I realize just how quickly they change!
On October 13th Carter had his half birthday!
So at 4.5 years old, Carter goes to preschool two days a week for three hours each day.  This is a BIG adjustment for Carter, and we are still working through this.  He does great with school work-and actually ENJOYS difficult work that pushes him when we do "school" at home, but he's still adjusting to being happy at school away from me.  And we are working on figuring this out.  
My comedian Carter has always loved silliness, and I'm so happy to report that he's still our family comedian.  He loves making up silly words, songs, or dances and telling jokes.  
Carter is also our sweetheart.  He is tender.  He tells me he loves me more times in a day than I could count, and I try to speak to him in his same love languages-words & physical touch as he always loves hugs, cuddles, and sitting on my lap to read.  
Carter LOVES LOVES LOVES math! I could go on and on about how impressed with him and numbers I am.  He presses me constantly to ask him harder and harder math problems.  He loves addition and counting.  Recently we were driving down the road and he said he wanted to see how high he could count with no help.  We got where we were going and he was at 340-something (WITH NO HELP FROM ME!) and he decided to take a break.  But he could have kept going.  I'm constantly impressed by Carter's number oriented brain!
We've also been working on recognizing all the lower case letters which he can do, and now we have moved on to letter sounds too.  He also recognizes a few sight words here and there which is my next goal for him.  
Carter shares a room with big brother Dawson, and he loves sharing  a room.  One night over the summer Dawson spent the night with a friend and Carter said he was SO lonely!  Carter sleeps on the bottom bunk.  He still sleeps with his little Lovie which may very well disintegrate one day, but he's loving that little thing to pieces-literally!
Carter has also become really into games lately-board games and card games like Uno!  Carter loves things that he can master-so playing board games he likes to play the same one for a while, and get good at it, learn all the rules, then move on.
Carter, Carter, Carter....you are a perfect piece of our family-you make us laugh when we need it the most with you silliness, you remind us how much you love us constantly, you're sweet and tender, and a great little brother to Dawson and big brother to Nora Kate and Clayton.  What an important job-you fill both the role of big and little!  We love you so much, our big 4 AND A HALF YEAR OLD boy!

There's my sweet boy with his Lovie.

Silliness...all the time.  Silly faces

More silly faces.

And there's that sweet face!


No comments: